DecisonPoint/CORTEK is seeking a FOIA Analyst
who will be a part of a team that provides FOIA processing and internal/external consulting services in support of the Department of Commerce offices' administration of FOIA. The candidate will assist the Department of Commerce/ Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) program office with, among other things, reviewing incoming FOIA requests, orchestrating the processing of highly complex FOIA requests.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Review and enter incoming FOIA requests into FOIAonline tracking system, understanding BIS regulations determine where searches must be tasked.
- Consult with subject matter experts to determine where searches need to be conducted and terms to be used.
- Conduct legal research as needed to determine proper application of FOIA and legal precedent to requests. Ensure searches cover the entire scope of the FOIA request.
- Respond to high priority, time sensitive requests from other government agencies.
- Apply FOIA exemptions to BIS documents with understanding of BIS regulations.
- Place redactions on requested records consistent with FOIA exemptions. Review redaction work of others to ensure consistency. As part of a team effort, ensure that all paper work and entries into the case tracking system are accurate, complete and conform to the quality standards of the Department.
- Compile data and statistics to respond to data calls from the Department of the Office of General Counsel. Compile information for reporting requirements (weekly, quarterly, annual).
- Develop and maintain proficiency in the use of guidance and reference material, both substantive and procedural.
- Draft FOIA letters including acknowledgement, response and closure. Ensure completeness of each case file.
- Assist with updating the BIS website, posting frequently requested records.
- Develop FOIA program manual, assist employees and managers in implementing policy and procedures.
- Possess extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office and maintain computer literacy and proficiency on the case management and redaction software system utilized by the Department.
What you’ll get!
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited U.S. law school
- Be a member of the bar in any state
- Interim Secret minimum, Active Secret clearance preferred.
- Minimum of (1-3) years of demonstrated experience in the area of FOIA
- Able to utilize FOIA tracking software (BIS uses FOIAonline)
- Able to independently determine and cite specific applicable FOIA exemptions
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office ( Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Our Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
- Immediately- vested 401k with employer matching
- 100% Employer Paid Dental and Vision coverage
- Comprehensive Medical
- Competitive PTO
- Tuition Assistance
- Professional Development opportunities
- The ability to influence major initiatives
The company is an equal opportunity employer. The company shall not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity (except where gender is a bona fide occupational qualification), national origin, age, disability, military/veteran status, marital status, genetic information or any other factor protected by law. We are committed to equal employment opportunity in all decisions related to employment, promotion, wages, benefits and all other privileges, terms, and conditions of employment.