As a Senior LAN/WAN Next Gen Firewall Engineer
, you will join us in providing architectural design and implementation support for all Trusted Internet Connection (TIC) components, all external connections (VPNs), routing and switching environments, Next Generation Firewalls, remote access solutions, and security event management for the Department of State’s Office of the Inspector General (OIG). The OIG team will look to you for expert-level engineering and guidance for ongoing operations of LAN/WAN networks, IT security and other related areas for all supported OIG systems.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Provides Network and Security engineering support for internal systems integration projects such as the cloud-based services, Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP), virtualized infrastructure, server, and storage environment.
- Acts as network/security team lead by managing projects/operational tasks and junior staff by providing direction and tracking work products.
- Analyzes current environment to determine appropriate configuration strategy to deploy voice and data communication hardware between multiple locations.
- Designs, configures, manages, and deploys network equipment such as routers, LAN/WAN switches, and firewalls as well as on-going maintenance of that infrastructure.
- Works independently with little to no supervision researching new technologies or comparing technologies to meet the organizational needs.
- Maintains networking environment by designing system configuration, orchestrating system installation, defining, documenting, and enforcing security standards.
- Maximizes network availability by monitoring performance, troubleshooting network problems and outages, scheduling upgrades, and collaborating with team members.
- Architects, designs, tests, and delivers new technologies to improve the remote work experience for all customers.
- Secures network by establishing and enforcing written policies and defining and monitoring access using cutting edge security tools.
- Reports network operational status by gathering and prioritizing information and managing projects.
- Reviews complicated network diagrams to find flaws or room for improvement and creates complex network diagrams to share with external vendors to ensure the systems will work together.
- Documents final enterprise architecture, network diagrams, security best practices.
- Coordinates efforts onsite with contracting officer’s representative (COR) and reports results to the OIG CIO.
Desired Skills & Abilities:
- Active DoD-issued Secret level security clearance
- Ten (10) or more years of experience implementing and maintaining enterprise-level telecommunications systems
- Five (5) or more years of hands-on experience managing LAN/WAN network architecture
- Five (5) or more years of experience supporting, monitoring, and troubleshooting network and application servers running Microsoft Windows OS and other server-based systems
- Five (5) or more years of experience in setup, configuration, and administration of firewalls and firewall clusters, along with multi-site policy configurations
- Five (5) or more years of experience with network technologies and services, such as DNS, firewalls, load balancers, and routing and switching
- Five (5) or more years of experience with security fundamentals at the infrastructure and operating system-level, including cloud or hypervisor
What you’ll get!
- Experience with technology and platforms including Palo Alto, Cisco ASA, Juniper Switches, load-balancing, routers, DNS, OSPF and BGP routing protocols, Class based QOS, and MPLS WAN.
- Subject matter expertise in the areas of Routing, Switching, Remote access, Security Information, Event management, and Next Generation Firewalls with product specific knowledge of Juniper Switches, Pulse VPNs, and Palo Alto Networks Firewalls.
- Palo Alto certifications preferred.
- Experience with ITIL, CMMI, and/or PMP processes and implementation.
- Operational experience with hybrid cloud environment with focus on architectures for Microsoft Azure.
Our Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
- Immediately- vested 401k with employer matching
- 100% Employer Paid Dental and Vision coverage
- Comprehensive Medical
- Competitive PTO
- Tuition Assistance
- Professional Development opportunities
- The ability to influence major initiatives
The company is an equal opportunity employer. The company shall not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity (except where gender is a bona fide occupational qualification), national origin, age, disability, military/veteran status, marital status, genetic information or any other factor protected by law. We are committed to equal employment opportunity in all decisions related to employment, promotion, wages, benefits and all other privileges, terms, and conditions of employment.