|As a Machine Learning Engineer, you will support the Joint Artificial Intelligence Center (JAIC), coordinating Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (AI/ML) efforts across the Department of Defense (DoD). Our Machine Learning Engineers will be responsible for, among other things, performing AI research and engineering outreach to ensure that the best ML practices are leverage in AI solutions design and product development, to include an understanding of AI technology maturity.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Developing, testing, deploying, and updating machine learning (ML) models trained on structured and unstructured (big) data sources in both on-premise and cloud-native environments.
- Driving the incorporation of developed ML models and pipelines into production-level ML systems in both on-premise and cloud-based delivery models, by creating robust, scalable, and well-engineered ML components that enable delivery convergence.
- Collaborating with data engineers, data scientists and infrastructure engineers to develop and deploy data and model pipelines, applying ML and data science techniques in design distributed and large-scale processing systems.
- Writing production-level, re-usable, easy-to-interpret code in R, Python, Java, C++, Scala, SQL, or other languages, while engaging in collaborative code reviews and providing technical feedback to improve existing ML model performance.
- Coordinating science and technology (S&T) research and development (R&D), outreach, and engagement efforts to help advance sensitive ML capability development efforts via technical leadership of external ML contracts.
- Demonstrating applied understanding of natural language processing (NLP), computer vision (CV), decision networks, neural networks, autonomous systems, and other ML-based regression and classification methodologies.
- Working independently and in a collaborative, dynamic, cross-functional environment.
- Active DoD-issued Secret level security clearance with the ability to obtain a TS/SCI
- PhD in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Operations Research, or a related field with at least one (1) year of experience, OR a Master’s degree with five (5) or more years of proven experience
- Minimum of two (2) applied and specialized certifications (e.g., Udacity AI/ML Engineer, Coursera Deep Learning).
- Minimum of two (2) complementary experience specialty areas outside ML (e.g., full stack developer, cloud architect).
- Fluency in Python, R, C++, Java, or other similar programming language.
Desired Skills & Abilities:
- Superior professional demeanor, and the ability to learn and accomplish a wide variety of day-to-day responsibilities that ensure program success
- Experience with multi-modality processing, deep neural networks, Gaussian processes, reinforcement learning, etc.
- Understanding of applied autonomous systems and embodied intelligence (e.g., multi-agent systems).
- Extensive knowledge of machine learning model evaluation metrics and best practices.
- Strong understanding of probability, statistics and mathematics (e.g., statistical learning theory, algorithms).
- Experience working with cloud-based platforms and tools (AWS, Azure, GCP, etc.).
- Experience working with web services (Redshift, DigitalOcean, etc.).
- Experience working with distributed data and computing tools (Hadoop, Hive, Gurobi, MySQL, Spark, S3, etc.).
- Experience working with distributed systems (Etcd, zookeeper, consul, etc.).
- Experience working with messaging tools (Kafka, RabbitMQ, ZeroMQ, etc.).
Working Environment & Conditions
This position is primarily indoors, consistent with a standard office position and has a noise level of mostly low to moderate. The incumbent is required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The workload may require the incumbent to sit for extended periods of time. The incumbent must be able to read, perform simple math calculations and withstand moderate amounts of stress. The incumbent must occasionally lift and/or move items that weigh up to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities required for the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Our Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The company is an equal opportunity employer. The company shall not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity (except where gender is a bona fide occupational qualification), national origin, age, disability, military/veteran status, marital status, genetic information or any other factor protected by law. We are committed to equal employment opportunity in all decisions related to employment, promotion, wages, benefits and all other privileges, terms and conditions of employment.