DecisionPoint/CORTEK is seeking a Certified Library Professional
who will be responsible for providing information retrieval services and perform electronic records searches in support of FOIA and other requests. The purpose of the work is to provide expertise in organizing, accessing, and disseminating legal and policy information in specialized subject areas to meet the needs of the IPS user community. The librarian formulates search strategies to retrieve information from IPS's databases and collaborative tools (e.g. Boolean)
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Analyze perfected FOIA requests and develop comprehensive search strategies to meet the standards of a reasonable and adequate search. Strategies identify the major concepts in each request, along with appropriate related terms. Related terms account for Department-specific terminology that matches the intent of the requestor as well as differences in language used in varying modes of communication, encompassing formal language used in official correspondence as well as informal terms used in in emails and other informal communication channels.
- Communicate detailed search strategies to case processors case managers so that they can be shared with Bureaus, offices, and posts tasked for each request to ensure that search strategies are consistent in terms of quality and thoroughness.
- Identify all relevant repositories of State Department records that may contain relevant documents.
- Deploy advanced knowledge of Boolean operators and online search skills to conduct thorough searches in all relevant repositories identified as responsive for each request.
- Review search results and eliminate all documents that are irrelevant or otherwise non-responsive to the original request.
- Create thorough documentation of the search strategy and sources searched that includes a written analysis of the request, the detailed search strategy developed as a result of that analysis, the sources searched, and the results of each search conducted.
- Maintain direct communication with case managers and inform them of leads to additional Bureaus, offices, and posts that should be searched.
- Conduct additional searches as necessary in cases where other Bureaus, offices, and posts identify additional relevant search terms likely to identify responsive material.
- Use in-depth knowledge of the principles of information organization and retrieval to provide advice on the development of online tools and repositories used to manage official Department of State records.
- Contribute to the construction of appropriate metadata schema to thoroughly describe those records and identify the most appropriate system requirements and database fields to support precise search and retrieval.
What you’ll get!
- Active Secret with Interim TS to start. Active Top Secret clearance preferred. Candidate must have ability to obtain and maintain SCI access.
- Master’s degree in library and information science or related degree from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum of three (3) to five (5) years in the following areas:
- Demonstrated experience in conducting complex online searches.
- Working as a professional research or reference librarian.
- Demonstrated experience in the areas of foreign policy, diplomacy, foreign aid, or national security.
- Evidence of strong and effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a collaborative team.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to provide training on developing effective search strategies.
Our Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
- Immediately- vested 401k with employer matching
- 100% Employer Paid Dental and Vision coverage
- Comprehensive Medical
- Competitive PTO
- Tuition Assistance
- Professional Development opportunities
- The ability to influence major initiatives
The company is an equal opportunity employer. The company shall not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity (except where gender is a bona fide occupational qualification), national origin, age, disability, military/veteran status, marital status, genetic information or any other factor protected by law. We are committed to equal employment opportunity in all decisions related to employment, promotion, wages, benefits and all other privileges, terms, and conditions of employment.